Stainless Steel Pegs – 30 Pack
$17.95 – $37.95
Stainless Steel pegs are strong, durable, and long lasting – and will help keep your yard free of sharp, broken pieces of plastic pegs.
They do not get hot in the sun, so your fingers won’t burn in the hot Australian summer.
Available in packs of thirty, in three different grades of steel:
- Grade 201: standard grade, not recommended to leave outside 24/7, or for salty environments. 2mm wire, 60mm long.
- Grade 304: tough grade, high rust resistance and able to be left outside 24/7 if not a coastal area. 2mm wire, 60mm long.
- Grade 316: marine grade, will not rust even if left outside near the ocean. 2mm wire, 59mm long.
Grades of steel
Grade 201 Stainless Steel – the standard grade of stainless steel pegs and a great all rounder for quality and price. While they’re quite hardy, we don’t recommend leaving them outdoors for extended periods or for salty conditions.
Grade 304 Stainless Steel – the “tough” grade for higher corrosion and rust resistance that can be left outside without being too bothered about this – unless you live in coastal regions in which case see our 316 grade below.
Grade 316 Stainless Steel – the “marine” grade and the toughest, anti-rust steel pegs available. These pegs have your name on them if you live near the beach or if you like to leave your pegs on the line 24/7 and want them to be cool with that.
The main difference between the steel types is the level of nickel. The levels of chromium and nickel are what give stainless steel it’s anti-corrosion properties, and the level of chromium in the 3 main grades is the same at between 16-20%. The nickel content however, is 3.5 to 5.5% for 201 making it more cost efficient and versatile, but less hardy than 304 which has 8-10%. This makes it super resistant to a lot of chemical and environmental factors but can still be corroded in time by salt. Here is where 316 comes to the rescue with a nickel content of around 12% (and the addition of molybdenum) and will virtually never rust.
Packaging for your Stainless Steel Pegs
All Pegz are packaged in Jute bags. Why jute? Jute itself is made from the fibres of a vegetable plant (Corchorus) which grows easily and abundantly in tropical lowland regions, predominantly India and Bangladesh. Here are just a few reasons why we love jute:
- It is fast growing, ready for harvest in 4-6 months
- There is little need for pesticides, fertiliser or watering
- It releases up to 11 tonnes of oxygen and absorbs up to 15 tonnes of carbon dioxide per hectare (per growing cycle)
- Requires much less land than cotton to produce the same amount of fibre
- Jute is starting to replace wood in some pulp and paper manufacturing which has the power to greatly reduce worldwide deforestation
The jute bag and drawstring cord are biodegradable and compostable, and the ink used is water-based. This means the packaging truly is zero waste!